Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Andama Bread

As many readers will be aware, I am participating in the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge set up by pinchmysalt

On 8-10 May, I completed the first recipe in Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It was Andama Bread.

I made the cornmeal soaker on Friday, and this is what it looked like:


I made the dough on Saturday night and stuck it in the fridge for Sunday morning. I woke up at 6:30, took the loaves out of the fridge and put them on the counter to warm. Although the book said to let them warm up for 4 hours, after three they were ready to go.

Unfortunately, the oven is quite wacky when it comes to temperature, and even though I have an oven thermometer, I can't really control the temperature.

In any case, I set the timer for 20 minutes, turned the loaves around, and then set the timer for an additional 20. After 15, though, I checked the bread and it was overbrowned, but done, so I took them out to cool.

Here's the finished product:

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I remember our NY days when you made us granola and other meals from scratch! Ah, the good o'l days... WE miss you guys! Glad to hear you are blogging now! Hope your bread wins first place! Keep us posted now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I started this challenge 3 weeks ago and I am "fighting" with the German flour types, too. I'm going to read all your posts to see what your equivalents are to all-purpose, bread and high glutenous flour - no need to reinvent the wheel ;o). Would be glad if you stopped by every once in a while...

    ReplyDelete